Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hello Again: Character Development Techniques

Hi! It's been a while, but I thought I'd post something I saw.

Kung Fu Monkey, which is a writing blog, talks about developing characters. I think this is valuable both for developing PCs, and developing NPCs.

Techniques discussed:
360 Degree review. IE, how does the character's bosses, peers, and underlings view him.
Flipping characters from villian to hero, or hero to villian.

And my personal favorite:

Years ago another writer taught me a simple exercise -- describe a character, hero or villain, as his best friend would describe him while setting up a blind date. Then do it from the point of view of the co-worker who hates his guts and is unloading to his wife after work, or finally has a chance to sink him with a job recommendation.




No comments:

Post a Comment